Pages

July 27, 2004

Web photo albums

People loves to share photos on the web, either by means of photo album, photo blog, or inline entity on a web page. I love web photos because I don't have to carry tons of photo albums with me, and, of course, because I use digital camera. PBase is my primary web photo sharing place and I am quite happy with its services. An annual fee of 25USD for 200MB is really a good deal. One thing I love is that you can upload an image archive and save a lot of time, comparing to uploading images one by one. Another reason is that there are so many professional photographers gathering on PBase, you can always find great works on it.

Recently I also start using wretch.twbbs 無名小站 as another web photo album -- a free service provided by an experimental project of Computer Science in National Chiao Tung University. Not only free, it starts with 200MB storage space, and if you stay online long enough in their BBS (500 hrs, as far as I know) you get 500MB! I like this site not because I graduated from this school and now working here, but because this experimental project is really cool. One thing tedious -- you have to select images one by one and do a batch uploading, unless you use Windows XP's web photo uploading wizard (now if we have this feature on OS X). But hey, I haven't tried yet, maybe it can be done on OS X already.

I have used following nice tools for managing and tranferring images for web photos: everyone knows iPhoto, if you use .Mac service. Web Photos Pro is for making and uploading photo albums to the web. It has Mac OS X and Windows XP/2000 versions. Then, Gallery Remote is a Java program for the famous PHP-based photo album system Gallery.

No comments: